Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Top 5: Harvey Mason Tracks

Welcome back to the blog!

I'm gonna try something slightly different for the blog this summer; a Top Five series!

I've decided to begin with one of my favorite drummers, Harvey Mason.




      Quincy Jones - Tryin' To Find Out About You

I love this track! Rather than play a standard groove, Harvey essentially composed a drum part. And it's funky as all get out!



          Lee Ritenour - Sweet Syncopation

Another groovy one. Harvey's also playing percussion on this and there's a drum break in the middle of this that he doubles with percussion that creates a pretty hip effect. This will come up again later on the list...



          The Brecker Brothers - Some Skunk Funk

Word on the street is Harvey flew in the night before the session to rehearse with the band and sightread this on the first run through. 'Nuff Said.


             Minnie Riperton - Memory Lane            


Very tasteful cymbal work and groove changes in the context of a VERY hip pop tune!




               Harvey Mason - Phantazia            


I smile every time I hear this tune. An amazing composition by Dave Grusin, great rhythm section interplay with (and a rare bass solo by) Anthony Jackson and a slightly Cobham-esque solo by Harvey (enhanced by the aforementioned percussion overdub effect). This one has it all!


I purposefully made a few off-the-beaten-path picks so that (maybe) I'm hipping you to a few new things.

Remember, these are MY choices. Feel free to hit me up and let me know what YOUR favorites are!

I'm hoping to do 6 or 7 of these before summer's done. Wish me luck!


Be Good,
DLW

No comments:

Post a Comment