Wednesday, November 14, 2012

My Summer (Vacation?)

I was actually supposed to have this post ready at the beginning of October, so sorry for the delay. This has been an extremely busy summer and, by the looks of it, my busiest September to date. I'm aiming for once a week updates here at the blog through year's end. At any rate, here's what I've been up to from Memorial Day through Labor Day...

Highlights Include:

DJ-ing with Carl Craig: Well, it was more like me spinning jazz/R&B for 90 minutes in the middle of Carl's set while we talked life/music/family/music business stuff while drinking wine. My first time DJing for the masses and I had a great time. Would be fun to try it again...

Jazzin' On Jefferson with both Rare Standard and The Global Jazz Project: I've been fortunate enough to play at this Eastside event 3 or 4 times with different groups so I was glad to be back again this year doing my first doubleheader: Rare Standard on the main stage and the GJP at one of the 4 after parties. Good times!

Kris Johnson at the Ford House: I had the pleasure of working with the brilliant trumpeter/composer/2012 Kresge Fellow Kris Johnson for the first time this past July. We had fun backing the Ford House Youth Choir on a song he wrote with the kids for the performance at the beautiful estate in Grosse Pointe Shores (opening for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, no less). Kris is an awesome talent and I look forward to working with him again in the near future.

Recording and performing with the Don Was Detroit Jazz All Stars: Gonna try to keep a potentially long story short. I got the call to do a session at Studio A in Dearborn (1st time there, great room!) from Wendell Harrison. Some of the usual suspects plus guitarist John Arnold and Amp Fiddler. Oh, and we'll be performing at the Concert of Colors (I can already see that I'm gonna have to write a blog just for this...). I also wound up playing/recording with Dennis Coffey for this project. This wrapped up an amazing week for me (The Ford House shows were at the same time)!

Demetrius at Waterfalls and Michigan Jazz Fest: My close friend and amazing musician Demetrius "Krayon" Nabors had me play a few shows with him. The first was at a downtown Detroit venue called Club Waterfalls, mostly performing songs from his debut CD A Journey Within Pt 1. I then played the Michigan Jazz Fest at Schoolcraft College with the Demetrius Nabors Trio (along with my other Trio Nomadian bandmate, Nate Winn). We played pretty early in the day but I think we surprised the audience, most of whom were expecting a typical "student" band.

More gigs with Big Will and 360: Not unlike last year, I was lucky enough to sneak in a few gigs with Big Will & the 360 Degrees Band. I always have a great time with these cats because they do everything from standards to classic rock to 70's/'80's dance hits to songs that JUST came out! I learn a ton every time I play with them and bassist Michele Hobbs (and her predecessor Creston Lamar Burks) leave some huge shoes to fill but the band always makes me feel welcome.

DBP photo shoot at Motown Museum: I can can't believe I arrived too late to take the main picture with the Detroit Bass Players group again! And this year, one of the pictures was featured in Bass Player magazine as a not-quite centerfold. I still had a great time hanging all of my fellow bassists, young and not so young. Better luck next year!

bWx opens for Robert Glasper and Angie Stone: This was another of my favorite days of the summer! The B. Williams Experiment (with Derrick Benford, Saxappeal and Brandon Williams HIMSELF) with Gwenation on vocals made the most of our 15-20 minute set at Chene Park. We also had a blast talking to/hanging with/digging on Glasper and his crew. I had another gig to run to so I wasn't able to catch Angie's set, but it still was a night to remember...

Jazz Fest weekend at MCW: Unofficially closing out the summer season was a series of shows at MotorCity Wine during Labor Day weekend. I played with no less than 3 of the 4 bands featured there, including the Mighty FunHouse (minus bandleader Skeeto Valdez), the B. Williams Experiment and an unnamed group comprised mostly of Canadians (who shall also remain nameless) who performed for the Sunday brunch. I even managed to catch some acts at the Jazz Festival (including Pat Metheny's packed set!) and a show with Inohs Sivad at Arts Beats & Eats.

Well, That what pretty much my summer. How was yours?


Be Good,
DLW

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a blast. This was cool read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This also explains why, unless you were on a gig with me, you probably didn't see me! =)

      Delete